So, as soon as I got back of course I had to make something with fresh figs!
Fig & Goats Cheese Salad with Parma HamThis Autumn salad is a perfect lunch for two people. The sweet, juicy, grilled figs together with the salty goats cheese and parma ham served on a bed of fresh rocket leaves is a truly incredible combination.
What you'll need:
- A bag of rocket leaves
- 30ml olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Pecans, halved
- 2 figs, grilled and quartered
- 1/2 a lemon
- 50g goats cheese
- 3 - 4 slices of parma ham
How to make it:
To start, half the figs, place in a casserole dish and grill under a medium heat for 6 - 8 minutes.
When they're hot and starting to release their juices remove to cool slightly.
Season your olive oil with a little salt and pepper and mix with the rocket leaves in a large bowl until coated and glistening. Place rocket leaves on a large plate.
Next, when cool enough to handle, slice to quarter the figs. Add quartered figs and halved pecans to the rocket leaves.
Squeeze over the juice from half a lemon and crumble over the goats cheese.
Drizzle with honey.
And finally add your parma ham.
C'est tout, a delicious memory from France!
Tips for buying fresh figs:
- Choose soft wrinkled figs that have a plump feel
- Figs don't ripen after they are picked, so make sure not to buy hard, smooth figs
- You can eat the whole fig, except for the hard point where it hung from the tree
- Wash before use and dry thoroughly before roasting or grilling!